History, Bachelor of Arts
Course Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in History
- Complete the 123 hours for the major with a GPA of at least 2.25.
- Complete the following survey courses: HIST 1111, HIST 1112, HIST 2111 and HIST 2112
- Complete HIST 3301 and HIST 4301 with a "C" or higher.
- Complete four American History courses (12 hours) at the 3000-4000 levels.
- Complete four World History courses (12 hours) at the 3000-4000 levels.
- Complete one General History course (3 hours) at the 3000-4000 levels.
- Complete twenty-seven hours of guided electives.
- Maintain a “C” or higher in all courses taken in Areas F and G of the History Check sheet.
- Complete ACAT subject area test.
- Complete last 30 semester hours at Albany State.
|Core Curriculum for Non-STEM Majors (Areas A-E)||42|
|Area F: Courses Related to Major 2|
|HIST 2111||Survey of American History I||3|
|POLS 2102||Introduction to Law||3|
|SSCI 2402||Microcomputers in Social Science||3|
|HIST 2112||Survey of American History II||3|
|2000 Level||Social Science||3|
|2000 Level||Foreign Language||3|
|Area G - Professional Courses 2|
|Select four of the following courses in American History:||12|
|History of Georgia|
|Diplomatic History of the United States|
|Civil War and Reconstruction|
|Directed Readings in American History|
|The Afro-Americans in America Thought|
|The History of the South|
|Contemporary America, 1945-Present|
|The Civil Rights Era|
|Special Topics in History|
|Select four of the following courses in World History:||12|
|Slavery in Ancient and Modern Worlds|
|Directed Reading in European History|
|Directed Reading in Non-Western History|
|History of Latin America|
|The Revolution in Modern History|
|Studies in African History|
|Intro to Global Terrorism|
|Area H - Methods, Seminar, General History Courses and Minor/Guided Electives 3|
|HIST 3301||Historical Methods I||3|
|HIST 4301||Senior Seminar I||3|
|General History Elective 3000-4000||3|
|Minor/General Electives 1000-4000 (see advisor) 1||27|
|First-Year and Wellness Course Requirements Outside the Core|
|ASU 1101||First Year Experience: Pathways to Success||1|
|HEDP, WELL||Health & Wellness Requirement 4||2|
|Total Semester Hours||123|
Minors require a minimum of 18 credit hours with a minimum of 9 credits in upper level courses (please see individual minor requirements in ASU catalog). Guided electives are any courses offered at ASU that have not already been taken to satisfy the core or major courses.
Must complete the courses in Areas F and G with a grade of C or higher.
Must complete the history courses in Area H with a grade of C or higher.
The health & wellness requirement may be fulfilled by taking one - two (2) credit hour health or wellness course OR two one (1) credit hour health or wellness activity courses.