Histotechnician Certificate Program
The Histologic Technician Certificate Program provides students with academic and practical training for job-entry skills in anatomic pathology. The program is approved by the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia and is accredited by the:
National Accreditation Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
5600 N. River Road
Rosemont, IL 60018
Phone 773-714-8880, www.naacls.org.
Completion of a NAACLS accredited Histologic Technician Certificate Program will qualify the student to take their national board exams.
Students may be withdrawn from the program and/or from a clinical affiliate for lack of competence, if determined to post a threat to the health or safety of others, for failure to comply with the ASU Code of Conduct or failure to comply with the policies of a clinical affiliate.
DRUG SCREEN AND CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS
Students may be subject to drug screens and criminal background checks as a requirement for participating in program activities. Students are also subject to drug screens requested at random or for probable cause.
Students may be prevented from participating in program activities until results are provided and they are approved for return to program activities.
PROGRAM COST REQUIREMENTS
|Special Immunization (HBV)||$200.00|
|*Estimate only. This could be higher or lower depending on the items purchased.|
|Fall||Early acceptance May 15th|
|Deadline June 30th|
|Spring||Early acceptance September 30th|
|Deadline November 30th|
Histologic Technician Certificate Program Admission
- Admission to Albany State University
- Prior college degree.
- Completion of Algebra, Chemistry and Biology with a “C” or higher. Coursework in Biology would preferably be Anatomy & Physiology. Acceptance of coursework will be at the discretion of the Program Director.
- Applicants must have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5.
- Program application required.1
Applications are available through the Program Director or in the Health Sciences office at Albany State University ASU West Campus. Applications are also available from the program homepage at:
The Program Director will review the completed folders once applicants meet the general admission criteria for the program. Students for the program are selected from the applicants according to the following criteria:
GPA (cumulative or last 35-hrs)
Observation hours observed in a Histology Laboratory setting
Appropriate professional recommendations received (2)
Clinical Affiliation (online only)
Completed HT application
Applicants with the highest point accumulation are selected until the class positions are filled. Class size is 20 for the fall semester and 10 for the spring semester.
- Students are required to submit a copy of a recent physical exam prior to program acceptance.
- Students are required to meet the health requirements of the clinical affiliate to which they are assigned.
- Students must have documented immunization to Hepatitis B.
- Liability insurance is required upon enrollment in the program.
- To satisfactorily complete the curriculum and to develop required skills the students must have:
- Visual acuity (with or without corrective lenses) to observe and perform technical procedures; to identify and differentiate specimens, reagents and equipment; be able to see color, to read laboratory manuals, procedures, policies, specimen labels and materials pertinent to professional practice;
- Physical ability to manipulate laboratory instruments and equipment in a manner consistent with operational procedures;
- Manual dexterity to operate laboratory equipment and use tools in a manner consistent with operational guidelines.
The program director or designated staff will arrange clinical assignments with the program's approved affiliates for on-campus students only. Students must be prepared to travel to the clinical training facility.
Continuation in the Program
Students must make a grade of “C” or better in all Histologic Technician Program (MLTS) courses. A student can repeat a single course in which the score is less than a “C.”
A student repeating a course in which an unsatisfactory grade was received will experience a delay in clinical placement granted the course is satisfactorily completed on the second attempt.
A student withdrawing from the program or a program course may be considered for admission in subsequent classes at the time of the next class selection.
Students absent from the program for a period exceeding one semester will be required to demonstrate prior course competency by exam or repeat for credit.
Students that fail more than one professional (MLTS) course which includes the repeat of a course will be dismissed from the Program and will not be allowed to return.
Histologic Technician Certificate
|MLTS 1300||Introduction to Histology||3|
|MLTS 1310W||Histology I||3|
|MLTS 1310L||Histology I Lab 1||1|
|MLTS 1320W||Histology II||2|
|MLTS 1320L||Histology II Lab 1||1|
|MLTS 1330||Histology III 1||1|
|MLTS 1340||Clinical Histology Externship 1||5|
|MLTS 1350||Histology V||2|
|MLTS 1360||Histology VI||1|
|Total Semester Hours||19|
Courses are to be completed at an approved clinical affiliate for online students.