Medical Laboratory Technology Career Associate of Science Degree Program
Health Science Division
Recommended Courses for Career Associate of Science Degree Programs
The Medical Laboratory Technology program prepares graduates to practice as a laboratory technician in hospitals, clinics, physician offices, and other health care facilities. Graduates are eligible to sit for national certifying exams. The program is accredited by
The National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
5600 North River Road
Rosemont, IL 60018-5119
(847) 939-3597, (773) 714-8880, FAX (773) 714-8886, www.naacls.org.
- A minimum grade of “C” is required in each MLT professional course.
- A medical examination, including proof of MMR x 2, HBV x 3, Varicella x 2 immunizations are required, A current flu vaccine, PPD, and other immunizations may be required prior to entry into clinical practicum courses.
- Students must satisfy admission requirements to Albany State University.
- Liability insurance is required upon enrollment in any MLT technical course.
- To satisfactorily complete the curriculum and to develop the skills required of an entry level medical laboratory technician, the student must have:
- Visual acuity (with or without corrective lenses) sufficient to differentiate colors used as reaction indicators; to observe the patient during phlebotomy procedure; to differentiate and identify specimens utilizing microscopic examination; to read laboratory manuals, procedure, policies, specimen labels, test requisitions and other materials pertinent to professional practice;
- Physical ability to manipulate clinical laboratory instruments and equipment in a manner consistent with operational procedures;
- Manual dexterity to perform venipuncture procedures and to operate hand held medical laboratory equipment and tools in a manner consistent with operational guidelines.
MLT Re-Admission Criteria
Students who do not progress in MLT Program courses as outlined by the curriculum guide may continue in the program under the following conditions:
- They meet Albany State University admission criteria.
- They meet MLT Program admission criteria.
- They do not have more than one “D” or “F” in program courses.
- Course enrollment will be permitted on a space-available basis and only if prerequisites are met.
- Students absent from the program for a period exceeding one semester will be required to demonstrate prior course competency by exam or repeat course for credit.
- Students with two unsuccessful attempts in program courses are ineligible for program readmission. Withdrawing from a MLTS course is considered an unsuccessful attempt. A course grade of “D” or “F” is considered an unsuccessful attempt.
Students in the Medical Laboratory Technology Program are responsible for the following approximated expenses in addition to books, tuition and fees:
|Uniforms/lab coat/ID badges||$115.00|
|Laboratory Supplies (Gloves, masks, face shields, scissors, pens, and markers)||$50.00|
|MLT Certification (ASCP)||$215.00|
|NOTE: In addition to the above fees, students may be required to have a drug screen prior to clinical placement in externships. Fees may vary by affiliate and are generally less than $100. Affiliates that require ACEMAPP membership will also be an additional $50 fee for the student.|
The ASU MLT Program has clinical affiliations with many hospitals and clinics in Southwest Georgia. Clinical assignments are made by the program faculty with approved affiliates only. Students must be prepared to travel to their clinical training facility.
Program Application Required
Based on space availability
Students may be withdrawn from the program and/or from a clinical affiliate for lack of competence; if determined to pose a threat to the health or safety of others; for failure to comply with the ASU Code of Conduct or failure to comply with the policies of a clinical affiliate.
Drug Screen and Criminal Background Checks
Students may be subject to drug screens and criminal background checks as a requirement for participating in program activities. Students are also subject to drug screens requested at random or for probable cause.
Students may be prevented from participating in program activities until results are provided and they are approved for return to program activities.
Background checks, drug screens, and immunizations are the student’s responsibility for expenses.
MLT Admissions Criteria
- Applicants must have completed required Learning Support courses.
- Applicants must successfully complete the required prerequisite courses as published in the Program of Study curriculum guide.
- Applicants must have a minimum overall college GPA of 2.5. Preference in program participation may be given to students with the highest GPA.
- Students with two unsuccessful attempts in MLT program courses at ASU or any other institution are not eligible for admission to ASU MLT Program.
Note: Unsuccessful attempts include D’s, F’s, and course withdrawals.
Associate of Science Career Degree Programs
|BIOL 2411K||Human Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|ENGL 1101||English Composition I||3|
|MATH 1111||College Algebra||3|
|COMM 1110||Public Speaking||3|
|POLS 1101||American Government||3|
|BIOL 2211K||Introduction to Microbiology||4|
|Total Semester Hours||20|
|BIOL 2412K||Human Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|CHEM 1211K||Principles of Chemistry I||4|
|MLTS 1160W||Medical Laboratory Technology I||3|
|MLTS 1160L||Medical Laboratory Technology I Lab||1|
|CHEM 1212K||Principles of Chemistry II||4|
|MLTS 1161W||Medical Laboratory Technology II||3|
|MLTS 1161L||Medical Laboratory Technology II Lab||1|
|MLTS 1182||Parasitology, Mycology, and Virology||3|
|Select one of the following electives:||3|
Any Literature Course
|Humanities Through the Arts|
|Introduction to Philosophy|
|MLTS 2010W||Medical Laboratory Technology III||2|
|MLTS 2010L||Medical Laboratory Technology III Lab||2|
|MLTS 2020W||Medical Laboratory Technology IV||3|
|MLTS 2020L||Medical Lab Technology IV Lab||1|
|MLTS 2630||Medical Laboratory Technology Externship||15|
|MLTS 2670||Seminars in Medical Laboratory Science||1|
|Total Semester Hours||50|
Online participants must provide their own clinical support and be approved by the Program Director.
Depending on your enrollment status, you may be required to take ASU 1101, “First Year Experience.”