Transient Students

Students who are currently enrolled at Albany State University and wish to take courses at another institution, while continuing their enrollment at Albany State University, must meet the qualifications and receive all approvals prior to signing up for the courses. 


The student must initiate the request for transient status with their academic advisor. The request must be approved by the following: 

  • Academic Department Chairperson
  • Academic College Dean
  • Registrar


  • The request must be approved four (4) weeks prior to the start of the requested non-resident semester. 
  • Student's GPA must be 2.0 or higher.
  • You must apply for admissions at the school you wish to take the transient courses.
  • Students who have failed or received a deficient grade in a course will not be permitted to take the course on a non-resident basis.
  • Before processing this form, the advisor and departmental chairperson should review the student’s record. Both must approve the request prior to sending it to the Dean for approval.
  • The Dean should confirm and approve before sending to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
  • Graduating seniors will not be permitted to take courses at another institution as a transient student during the semester in which they are to graduate.
  • In no cases will a retroactive non-resident request be approved.
  • All holds (library, parking, etc.) must be cleared before form will be processed.
  • Students wanting to use Financial Aid can contact our Financial Aid department.

Additional Notes

  • The University reserves the right to refuse transient credit when this procedure has not been followed.
  • A maximum of 30 credit hours on a semester system of correspondence and/or transient courses will be accepted toward the requirements for any degree.

Incoming Transient Students

Students who are enrolled at another institution should follow the process indicate on our Admissions Standards page