Withdrawal from the University
Students who find it necessary to withdraw from Albany State University, after having completed registration, must submit a Semester Withdrawal or Course Withdrawal form.
A ‘Semester Withdrawal’ is a request by a student to drop all classes and/or cease attendance in all classes for the Term. Failure to attend class is not equivalent to a withdrawal and students will not receive an adjustment of charges or grades unless a formal withdrawal is filed with the Office of the Registrar and approved prior to midterms.
- If a request for Semester Withdrawal is submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the end of the Add/Drop period, as defined by the Academic Calendar, all courses will be dropped from the student's schedule and charges reversed (if applicable).
- If submitted after the Add/Drop period, the student is automatically assigned a grade of "W" to indicate course withdrawal. The "W" will not be calculated in the GPA.
- A withdrawal for the semester may or may not include a refund, depending on when the withdrawal is submitted. In order to receive a full refund, or not receive charges for the term, this form must be submitted to the Office of Academic Services prior to the end of the Drop/Add Period.
- Withdrawal from courses may affect housing, graduation, financial aid, membership in organizations or other opportunities.
A ‘Course Withdrawal’ is a request by a student to cancel their enrollment in a particular CRN after the Add/Drop Period for the Term.
- Withdrawal from a course will be allowed until one business day after mid-term examinations period. No Withdrawal from a course will be allowed after that point. Withdrawals must be approved by the advisor/department head/dean.
- The student is automatically assigned a grade of "W" to indicate a course withdrawal. The "W" will not be calculated in the GPA. However, Albany State University policy allows a student to withdraw from a total of 16 hours with a 'W'. After 16 hours, all withdrawals are automatically given a grade of 'F'. Please review your academic transcript in Banner before withdrawing to determine if you will be affected by this policy.
- A withdrawal for the course may or may not include a refund, depending on when the withdrawal is requested.
- Withdrawals from courses may affect housing, graduation, athletics, financial aid, and membership in organizations or other opportunities.
- It is the student’s responsibility to check BannerWeb and confirm the status of the request. The student should retain a copy of the form for personal records.