Withdrawal from University

Students matriculating at the University will be limited to a maximum of 16 semester hours of course withdrawal (drops) during the completion of their undergraduate degrees.

  • Students who make changes to their schedules during the add/drop registration period will not be affected.
  • Withdrawal hours associated with classes that are dropped due to documented extenuating circumstances will not be included in the 16 hour total.
  • Students will receive a “WF” for course withdrawals identified after the 16 hour limit has been reached. There are financial and G.P.A. conditions associated with the “WF”.
  • “W” grades will be awarded to students who withdraw from classes after the schedule change deadline who are authorized to withdraw due to extenuating circumstances. 

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from Albany State University must secure and complete withdrawal forms from the Office of Academic Services and Registrar and have them signed by the Vice-President for Student Affairs, the Vice-President for Fiscal Affairs, the Director of Financial Aid. The student is responsible for submitting one copy of the properly signed form to each of the above listed offices and for retaining a copy of the form for personal records. The Office of Academic Services and Registrar notifies instructors of a student’s official withdrawal after the University has received a properly signed form. Students entitled to a fee refund will receive a check from the Office of Fiscal Affairs.

Withdrawal Date

Official Withdrawals

For official withdrawals, the date you withdraw from classes is the date of record for Return of Title IV Funds calculations, unless your intent to withdraw on an alternate date is documented. If you are not going to continue to attend school, you will need to complete an official withdrawal through the Registrar’s Office as soon as you decide to leave.

Unofficial Withdrawals

In the case of an unofficial withdrawal where the student did not complete the semester, and took no action to officially withdraw from the university through the Registrar’s Office; the university will determine the withdrawal date.

Federal Regulations mandate that Albany State University must calculate earned and unearned portions of financial aid if necessary and return those funds to the student or the Department of Education whether the student “Officially” withdrew or “Unofficially” withdrew from the University.

Hardship Withdrawal Policy

Hardship Withdrawal

Students may be granted hardship withdrawals when non-academic emergency situations occur which prevent them from completing their coursework (e.g., severe medical problems, traumatic events and/or circumstances beyond their control that cause them to miss numerous classes). Hardship withdrawals are not an alternative to drop classes after the mid-point, to remove unwanted grades, or attempt to prevent expected academic/financial aid actions (warning, probation, exclusion, etc.). The hardship withdrawal should be requested prior to the end of the semester in which the hardship occurred. Hardship withdrawals are subject to the following restrictions:

  • Hardship withdrawals can only be requested after the official withdrawal/drop period (after midterms) and until the last class day of the course. A student wanting to withdraw before mid-term must follow the regular withdrawal procedure.
  • As a general rule, students are not eligible for hardship withdrawals in courses in which they have completed the course requirements (e.g., sat for the final exam or submitted the final project/paper/portfolio).
  • Only in exceptional cases, fully supported by documentation, will a hardship withdrawal be permitted within a thirty (30) calendar day period after grades have been submitted. NO requests for hardship withdrawals will be considered after thirty (30) calendar days following the submission of final grades.
  • Requests for hardship withdrawal must apply to all courses taken during the semester in question.

Students withdrawing from classes should be aware that a reduction in their course load may negatively impact other aspects of their academic life. Students considering withdrawals should contact these offices to discuss any potential impact:

  • Student Financial Aid (Financial Aid/229-430-4650)
  • Athletic Eligibility (229-430-4754)
  • Health insurance (contact your personal health care provider)
  • University housing (Housing & Residence Life/229-430-4741)
  • Use of University resources and access to University facilities (Student Activities/229-903-3606)
  • Immigration status for International students/F-1 Visa (International Student Advisor/229-420-1035)
  • Veterans Educational Benefits (Military and Adult Education/229-317-6334)

Hardship Withdrawal Process

All hardship withdrawal requests are submitted to the ASU Registrar’s Office. It is the responsibility of the student to initiate and follow through with all steps in the withdrawal procedure. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Students should use the following checklist to ensure that their application is complete:

Checklist for Hardship Withdrawal Application:

  • Application for Hardship Status
  • Personal Statement of Hardship
  • Official Supporting Documentation

The ASU Registrar is not authorized to grant exceptions to the policy. The review panel will consist of no more than five members, including the Registrar, who shall serve as the Chair, and who shall appoint a Dean, a Departmental Chair, a faculty member and a staff member from Academic Affairs. When deemed appropriate, the review panel may invite campus professionals who are qualified to speak on the issues for which the withdrawal is sought (i.e., financial, medical, etc.) to provide additional information. The Hardship Withdrawal Review Panel will maintain strict confidentiality regarding the hardship request. A unanimous decision by the panel is needed to grant a hardship withdrawal. Denial of the hardship withdrawal by the review panel is subject to review by the Provost, and ultimately the University President.

Personal Statement of Hardship:

In addition to completing a hardship withdrawal form, the student must prepare a typed personal statement of hardship that is signed and dated by the student. The statement of hardship is a narrative, in the student’s personal voice, to explain and convey the non-academic emergency to the ASU Registrar’s Office. It is essential that accurate details are given about the circumstances surrounding the hardship, including date(s) of the emergency, and an account of how the situation specifically prevented the completion of the coursework.

In addition, official documentation must be provided that supports and is consistent with the statement of hardship.

Hardship Withdrawal Documentation Requirements:

Medical (e.g., physical or psychological emergencies):

Type-written correspondence on office letterhead from a physician, psychologist, psychiatrist, or any licensed healthcare professional should be submitted as part of your documentation. The letter should include the dates during which medical/therapeutic care was provided, a statement of how the illness/condition interfered with the completion of the coursework, and the name/title/phone number of the office representative who can verify the authenticity of the letter. Notes on prescription pads, appointment slips, and/or medical consultation forms are not acceptable in lieu of a doctor's letter.

Personal (e.g., death in the family, family crisis, etc.):

All family emergencies require official and/or notarized forms, documents, or correspondence from a state agency, governmental entity, or reputable business. A family crisis must be one caused by a catastrophic event, i.e., natural disaster, etc. Death of an immediate family member (parent, sibling, spouse, child and/or legal guardian) requires a death certificate and/or obituary with the name/date of the publication and documentation of the relationship between the student and the deceased.

Financial (e.g., loss of sole-supporting job, head of household challenges, mandatory job changes):

Financial emergencies require the student's employer or supervisor to document the mandatory change(s), the date of the change, and the organizational representative who can verify the circumstances of the job change, preferably a human resource professional.