Academic Transition Policy
Numerous academic majors at ASU have cumulative GPA requirements above the 2.0 that is required to maintain a “good academic standing” status at the University. The following policy shall apply to those students whose cumulative grade point averages are below the minimum CGPA required for admission into their chosen academic majors.
Students who have earned less than 60 semester-hours and whose cumulative GPA does not meet the minimum required by their chosen academic majors will be required to meet with their advisors to develop academic success plans which may require a change of majors. These students will:
- no longer be classified as a major in the area for which they no longer qualify
- not be able to take upper division (3000 and 4000 level) courses in the major
- no longer be able to apply for an audit
The chair will evaluate the student’s academic record to determine, among other things, if the possibility exists for the student to bring the cumulative GPA up to the minimum required. From this session the students will be given one of the following options:
- Probationary status (this classification comes with limitations on the courses students may take – No upper-level courses!). Only students with cumulative GPA’s close enough to the minimum requirement (1 or 2 tenths of a point) and who have additional core courses to take will be allowed this status.
- Requirement to change to another major. Chairs will assist the student with this process.
The purpose of this policy is to assist the student to either achieve acceptance into his or her preferred major or to help the student transfer out into a more suitable major. Students cannot be left in transition indefinitely.